Had a couple of small glitches show up with the engine. When I tore it down, I did what I thought was a careful visual inspection of the pushrods, and they looked good. I checked that none were bent, and the lengths were all fine.
Then, rechecking them prior to installation, I found that one rod-end showed some slight galling, which I had missed. So I had to order a new set. They finally came in, and I started putting stuff together.
My ring compression tool chose that day to come apart, so I had to wait to get a new one, as installing the pistons without one would be….impossible.
When that arrived, I started again, and after I got them all in and started torqueing them, found that the engine wouldn’t turn over by hand nearly as easily as it should. So out came all the pistons, for a good ring inspection, and I found a problem with one oil scraper expansion ring. I was able to trim that, fortunately, ’cause we had no desire to pay another $135 for a new ring set, and nobody sells them individually.
She went together fine then, and turned over nicely. Got everything torqued to specs, and continued working on minor stuff, while waiting for the new polished Weiand Street Warrior intake manifold to arrive, along with the Edelbrock cast aluminum valve covers and some trim chrome.
Originally, I was going to go with the black powder-coated Edelbrock Performer, but they didn’t have the one we wanted in black, so it was the Weiand. It should look pretty good under the 650 Edlebrock Thunder AVS carburetor, and between the Edelbrock valve covers, though.
That stuff arrived today, so Sunday, we can make a little more progress on the power plant. (click to enlarge)
More next Sunday, folks. She’s gonna look almost as good as she runs!